January 23, 2011

Wow.....I Really Like This Running Thing......

I started training for the Houston Half Marathon in July 2010.  I went to Luke's Locker and got some new shoes, I was ready to go.  It didn't take me long to realize I liked to run. 

There is something about running.  It is calming and soothing.  Your feet hitting the ground in perfect cadence, your steady breathing (most of the time), your mind a million miles away.  Running is an escape for me.  I love the peace and quiet it provides, and the serenity of running outdoors.  Although a good portion of my running is spent on the treadmill at the gym, I still love to run. 

I love the early morning Saturday runs we did in the training program, we ran through many a sunrise, and each one was beautiful.  I loved running with the group most of all.  It would be very hard for me to run more than 5 miles or so without other people.  And it is not because I want to talk to the people, most of the time I don't like to talk while running, it is just to have their presence.  You feel a sense of camaraderie as you run together, all at the same pace. 

And the crazy thing is, I was pretty good at it. I always finished the training runs at the front of pack and my time was about a 9:45 minute mile.  Now I understand that is NOT a great time, there are a lot of people that run below 7 minutes like it is nothing.  However, it is very good for me, especially since it is only my first year.

I just soaked it all in.  I got a subscription to Runners World, signed up for running websites, etc.  I researched ways to run more efficiently, what to eat and different ways to run hills, speed workouts, etc.  I wanted to learn everything I could about running.

My true love for running didn't start until I ran my first race.  In preparation for the Half Marathon there is a Half Marathon Relay that you and a team member can run.  I asked a lady that was in my running club, and who was always at the front of the pack with me, if she would like to run the relay. We each ran 6 1/2 miles and we kicked butt.  We both ran a 9:30 min/mile and got 16th place out of 68 teams.  And that was my first race ever.  Yep, needless to say, I was hooked.  I now understood that little thing they call adrenaline.  The feeling you get when you cross that finish line is like no other.  It feels so extraordinary to be proud of yourself and to accomplish something so big. I ran 6 1/2 miles, how many people do that?

I soon started thinking of the training session for 2011 and how I was going to train for the marathon, instead of the half.  I will have completed a half marathon by then, it will be time to push myself further to see if I can run the full.  I have big dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment