January 31, 2011

The Kids Partake In The Action.......

The kids got to practice their running skills one more time, on Saturday.  I had both of them signed up for the Kids Fun Run, part of the Houston Half Marathon, when I signed up for the Half.  They had been wanting to run a race and Tracy told me how much fun her family had in it last year so we thought we would give it a try.  Plus I wanted them to see what all the hoopla about racing was about.

As soon as we got there we got their race packets and changed their shirts into the Fun Run shirts.  We then went and got in their respective corrals, Makayla with me and Malik with Mario.

The race was great.  It was a 3k, about 1.8 miles.  Malik started off running, he couldn't wait.  Makayla wasn't too excited about running.  She had a side stitch and her ankle hurt and she just wasn't into it.  It was hard for me b/c I wanted to run so bad.  This was sort of like my mini-race, since I wasn't able to run the Half. :)  But after telling her how happy she would be if she continued and finished the race she decided to give it a try.  She walked most of the race but I did get her to run a few times.  We all ran together as a family for a little bit, that was really nice.



Malik ran almost the entire race.  He has so much energy!  We all ran the last few minutes together and everyone crossed the finish line.  The kids got their medals and we went in to enjoy the kid zone.  I was very proud of both of the kids but especially proud of Makayla for not giving up.




They really had a fun time and Malik is already talking about his next race.  I think he is going to be my running buddy!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I just finished reading your entire blog in one sitting. I so wished I lived closer so we could run together, not that we would be together, you are way faster than me. I love that Malik is running in his basketball shoes, if he is going to be the runner you are going to have to get him some proper shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am really enjoying blogging. I like that I can put all these thoughts onto paper. I swear I think about running 50% of my day. :)

    I agree, I need to get Malik some running shoes. You should have seen us scrambling that morning trying to figure out what he was going to wear. He has some tennis shoes but they are too big and I thought it would be safer to run in the bball shoes than in shoes too big.

    I am glad you like the blog. I have been waiting for your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete