January 26, 2011

My Third Race........

Houston's 2nd race in the warm up series for the Marathon is a 25K race downtown.  They offer a relay as well, for those training for the Half.  It is a three-person relay of 5.2 miles each, however I didn't want to just run 5.2 miles so I originally opted out, until I found out you could run more than one leg.  I was immediately stoked.  For one, that would be the farthest I have run so far and secondly, I wanted my friend Andi to join me so she could feel what it feels like to run in a race.

Andi and I joined the running club together last July.  After a car accident left her in PT she decided to walk with the walkers in the half and not push herself to run.  So we didn't get the chance to really spend time running together.  This would be a great chance to bond over running. :)  Plus, she needed a little motivation at the time and I knew this would do it for her.  As I said before, there is nothing like your first race.

So she met me at my house very early that Sunday morning and we headed out, including my very supportive husband!  We got there with like 15 minutes to spare and by the time we found the tent our running club was in Tracy was in panic mode b/c she was worried we would miss the start.  But we made it and trotted over to the starting line.

Andi and Tracy took off when the gun shot and they were on their way.  Leaving me behind.  It was the first time I actually got to experience what my husband had been doing at these races, waiting.  It seemed like an eternity for even Tracy to make the loop but she trotted on around that corner and I yelled so much I thought I would go hoarse.  And then finally Andi came.  She was the last person to come in from the first leg of the relay but I could not have been prouder of her!  SHE DID IT!  Completed 5.2 miles, which I believe was the longest she had run so far.



And I was off.  It was so hard to sit there and watch all these people run by, I was sooooo ready.  I had to make myself watch my time b/c I knew the adrenaline was pumping hard by now. I waved at Tracy and Pat (another running buddy in the club) each time we passed on opposite sides of the road.  It was nice to see her face a couple of times, in the midst of the craziness, even though she looked like she was going to pass out. :)  Tracy always looks like she is about to pass out when she is running but she always does fantastic.

It felt great turning the corner for the second loop and seeing Andi and Mario cheering me on.  I am very blessed to have a husband who completely supports me.  It was very cold that day and he sat all bundled up in his jacket waiting for just a glimpse of me as I ran by.

I learned a new lesson about running on this race.  To date I had never taken water or gatorade from the volunteers handing it out b/c I carried a fuel belt and never ran out.  Well I ran out at this race so at the last water station I grabbed a cup of gatorade.  I was so close to the finish line I didn't want to stop running so I just turned the cup up and "drank".  Um.....yeah......not so much.  That doesn't really work.  I was now bathed in gatorade and I know the runners around me were thinking "you dumb ass".  I just laughed it off, wiped my face as much as I could and realized if I fold the cup sides in when drinking and running it doesn't spill. :)

I crossed the finish line with an average time of 9:39.  Andi ran up with me and we crossed the finish line together.  I was so happy she did that.



Overall it was a great run.  I proved to myself I could run 10.5 miles, I am ready for the Half now, what is another 2.5 miles?

Andi, Me, Pat and Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment