January 24, 2011

The First Race......Nothing Like It......

This was the one thing I journaled in the 7 months I have been running.  Enjoy!
I was so excited for my first real race.  I had been training for 3 months and was just at 7 miles so this 6.5 mile run shouldn’t be a problem.
I did everything I was supposed to do the night before, to have a successful run.  I went to bed early, ate a good meal, got my fuel belt ready and even put some new songs on my ipod.  I was ready!
I got up bright and early on race day, at 5am, so I wouldn’t be rushed when leaving the house.  Mario, my husband,  and I headed out around 5:45am.
When we got there we had a heck of a time finding the Kingwood Fit tent, but finally located it, unfortunately too late to take the team pic.  But I found my race partner, Carolyn, and we shared our excitement for the race (it was her first race as well).  As we were talking I reached into my jacket pocket to get my ipod out and only pulled out headphones.  Where was my ipod?  Panic mode starting to step in.  I have NEVER run without my ipod and now I have to do a race without it?  I ran to the car as quick as I could, hoping I dropped it in there, but to no avail.
As I was walking back from the car it hit me that I was about to have to run 6.5 miles without music.  And I had JUST downloaded new songs and everything. But I decided to make the most of it, as I try to do in every aspect of life, and enjoy the sounds of a “race”.
When I got back over to my group I met up with Tracy,my running buddy, told her of my misfortune and my new plan and we started walking over to the starting line.  There were so many people!  Tracy was quick to tell me that there would be 5 times that amount of people at the Houston Half in January, man I can’t imagine.
The gun goes off and Tracy and I are on our way.  After about ½ mile together I told her to go ahead and run ahead of me (she is faster) b/c I was worried I would push myself too hard at the beginning and not be able to finish strong.
So it was just me for the next 6 miles, no music, only the sound of the race.  So many sounds I never thought of or considered, I heard:
-          People talking (remind you I normally don’t hear this b/c I ALWAYS have my music)
-          Footsteps on the downtown streets
-          Running shorts rubbing together as legs moved
-          Water splashing around in fuel belts
-          The sound of people running through Gatorade/water cups after runners have thrown them down (this is the one I was least expecting)
-          People on the side of the street yelling words of encouragement
-          The lone man about 3 miles into the race ringing his cow bell.  He might have been out there to encourage one person in his family, etc but he encouraged us all.
-          The two little boys standing on one of the overpasses on Allen Pkwy telling me to keep running, that I could do it and I was a winner.
-          The volunteer who called my number on the walkie talkie to the people at the starting line, so they could alert Carolyn to get ready for her leg of the race.
-          The many people at the end of the race, shouting so many encouraging words, “You are almost there”, “you have a perfect pace”, “you are doing great”, “keep it up”.
So because I “lost” my ipod I had a whole different experience than I would have with it.  I really “felt” this race and what it meant to be a runner.  I am so glad God instilled in me the thought to make the most of that challenge and to turn it around into something positive.
As I hit the last mile or so I turned on the after burners and went after it. I knew I had it in me at the time.  Thank God I had been running hills on Tuesday’s because those hills on Allen Parkway would have killed me otherwise.  I just envisioned myself on the little hill on Kings Park Way in Kingwood and made it through every one of them. It felt great, even though my heart rate was a little higher than I like it. And it helped so much to have people shouting from the sidelines those words of encouragement.
Mario was waiting for me as I crossed the line, I was so amazed with my pace I was trying to tell Carolyn that if she really went after it we might have a chance to place (not having a clue where we sat.)  I finished my leg of the race in 1 hour and 2 minutes.  That is a 9.5/min mile.  I have NEVER run that fast in my entire life, I normally run closer to a 10/min mile.  So I was ecstatic.

I went and picked up my medal (which I didn’t even know I got) and took my “finisher” picture. Mario and I waited around for another hour or so for Tracy and Carolyn to come in.  Carolyn came in at the same pace I did, 1 hour and 2 minutes and Tracy did an awesome job, completing the whole ½ marathon in 2 hours 7 min.  Those were personal records for all of us. 
I never thought I would call myself a runner.  I never thought I would LOVE to go outside and run.  I never thought I could run more than 3 miles. I never thought I would be half-way fast at running.  I never thought this was me……but it so is!

1 comment:

  1. I hate running without my iPod, but I completely understand how you can still relax and enjoy the sounds around you without the music. When I did my first MS-150, I was told riders couldn't use earphones due to safety; they want riders to be able to hear each other and the traffic around them in order to avoid accidents. I thought I would DIE without music (since I always trained with it) but it was actually relaxing to enjoy the wind in my face and just take in the nature all around me without being interrupted by music. Of course, I still prefer to have the iPod, and I began using an earphone only in my right ear in future rides (so my left was open to hear riders/traffic), but I didn't always keep the music on. It's amazing how something so physically challenging can also be relaxing and soothing.

    ReplyDelete