March 16, 2011

Here We Go Again....... Part 2

I absolutely hate to post this.  But this is the best way for me to get it out.  I am back to square one!  My calf, or what I now know is actually the Achilles Tendon, is hurting again.  I have not been able to run in over a week.

I ran the 20 minute tri on Sunday, 3/6, at a higher pace than normal but nothing too wild, it felt great.  Then the following Monday I ran 5 miles.  Once again, felt great!  One of the best runs yet.  But it was pretty much all down hill from there.  It started bothering me on Tuesday and has bothered me ever since.  I have taken a few days off (well kinda) to see if it would subside and it hasn't.  I have foam rolled and iced every day, as well as stretch.

So, here we go again.  Back to the beginning.  Back to the search for what is going to fix this. Back to the doctor's appts, etc.  I am beyond frustrated at this point.  Runners get this injury all of the time, why are they able to heal so quickly?  I have heard the same thing from all three doctors, "some people just heal faster than others".  WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There is no reason why I should be injured with an Achilles Tendon for 4 1/2 months.  Especially after trying all of the different "solutions" I have tried.  I mean come on now!

Ok, so now that I got that out (thank you for listening)....let me say I am not giving up.  I have had 4 people say to me, "maybe running isn't your thing."  It is!  No one is going to tell me otherwise.  I feel so happy when I run and I get such joy and relaxation from it.  How can it not be for me? 

So for those that know me well know that I already have the next 3 steps planned.  The next 3 steps to get me running again.
1.) Visit doctor in Kingwood that is supposed to be GREAT with these kind of injuries.  The running coach at the gym suggested I try him out.  Apparently he is a "miracle worker".  Yea, well apparently I am going to need one of those so let's just see how good he is.
2.) Once I am running again, even if for 20 minutes at a time I am going to get a biomechanic test done on my run form.  This will pinpoint problem areas to change so I can reduce risk of injury once I do get healed.  My god, I do not want to go through this again.
3.) Research minimalist running style.  I am currently reading the book Born to Run.  It is an absolutely amazing book that spotlights the barefoot running theory.  It follows a Mexican tribe that runs thru the canyons of Mexico for long distances at a time in home-made sandals.  It explores the theory that our bodies are made to run and we could run further with less effort if we 1.) adopted the running form our ancestors used when that was their main mode of transportation and 2.) chucked the running shoes and ran in a more minimalist shoe.

I am very intrigued with this book.  I have done some research already and apparently this one book alone has transformed a lot of people into barefoot runners or minimalist runner.  I am going to look into it more though.  I am going to "interview" runners who run in these type of shoes, check out the barefoot running websites and read the authors and other runners in the book websites.  Maybe it is the answer.  Who knows.....but what do I have to lose at this point?  It makes a lot of sense to me.

On a good note, 2 things:

1.) Mario, Andi and I are doing Warrior Dash on Sunday.  I am not running all week so I can do it on Sunday.  I don't plan to run much at the race but will need all I can get.  I can not wait, it is going to be so fun!
2.) I have made headway with the swimming.  I have figured out that I only need to take a breath every 5 strokes instead of 3 as I was doing.  And because I was taking more breaths than needed I was filling my lungs with unneeded air, raising my heart rate.  At least that is what I think. :)  Either way it is better.  Still much to be desired but better.

Thanks for listening.  If anyone knows of anything else I can try to heal my leg please let me know.  Or if you know of someone who has had this same issue.  I am open to anything right now.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear this, but it sounds like you have a good plan and the right attitude. I will be praying for you, see what the doctors can do and then lets see what the ultimate healer can do. This is not to big for God!

    ReplyDelete