February 5, 2011

OK.....So Here Is Where We Are Now.......

So I have gone to 5 Physical Therapy sessions now.  I really like the therapist, he is very nice and listens to me.  You know that is hard to find these days.  I normally do about 30 minutes of calf strengthening, 5 minutes of stretching and then about 10 minutes of an excruciating massage.  He didn't do the massage the first two sessions.  He tricked me.  He didn't start with the massage until this past week.  He said, "oh, today we are going to do a small tissue massage."  Wow....great, that sounds good.  Um...yeah.....not so much.  It hurts SOOOOOOO bad!  I clinch my hands on the pillow so bad, so as to not scream, that they hurt.  But he is working out the knots, etc. and it is needed.  So I endure.  Have I mentioned I will do whatever it takes to run? :)

He has been made well aware of the goal as well.  He knows I am trying hard to train for the 1/2 marathon at the end of March.  He is working with me to meet that goal.  But the other day he asked me something, just off the cuff.  I was saying once again how much I want to run and he said, "what if you were told you can't ever run again?"  I just sat there with a blank look on my face.  He hadn't ever given an indication that my injury was that bad so I don't think he was trying to hint to something.  I think instead he was telling me to chill out, in not so many words.  That it won't be the end of the world if I can't run that Half in March, and that it is better than not being able to run anymore.

My progress has been going well for the most part.  On Tuesday I was going to run 25 minutes straight, for the 2nd time, but ended up running 30 minutes bc it felt so good.  My calf wasn't hurting so I went with it.  But when I tried to run 30 minutes again on Thursday I couldn't.  I stopped at 25 minutes bc my calf was getting tight. Hmmm....that's not good.  But maybe after all I had put it thru that week (2 PT sessions (including the massages that have left bruises on my legs) and 1 30 min run) I wore it out.  Plus now the shin splints are coming back.  I feel like I am starting all over again.

Would you believe that I drove to PT on Friday morning at 10am when all the ice was on the ground and Houston was freaking out?  The Dr called me and said he was up there and if I wanted to come I could.  I really wanted to just lay in bed and get up late but I pulled myself out of bed.

I told the Dr about my run Thursday and he agreed it may just be fatigued.  I told him I wanted to start running mileage on Saturday's and was going to start this Sat with 3 miles.  So he decided to do the normal calf exercises and massage.  Good thing was the he mentioned during the massage that the knot in my calf is decreasing.  WOOHOO.....maybe I won't have to do that much longer.
I went for my 3 mile run toda
y.  I want to report that it was great, my calf felt great the whole time and I breezed through it.  But I can't.  Unfortunately after about the 2nd mile my calf started tightening up and had a slight twinge in it.  Something the Dr said was a sign to stop.  I am getting so sick of this.  I am so frustrated and am just throwing my hands up going, "WHY?" Am I ever going to be able to run again?  When is this going to be over?

That's pretty much where I am at right now.  I am not giving up though.  I will go to the Dr on Wednesday and let him know what's going on and go from there.  I am just starting to realize my goal of running at the end of March may not happen.  Once again I may have to swallow my pride and back out.  But I have to continue to do what is good for my health.  Even though it SUCKS!

One thing I am looking forward to though, my silver lining you could say, is swim lessons on Tuesday.  I start weekly 30-minute private swim lessons this week to learn how to properly swim.  It should be very interesting.  But I need to learn how to swim with my head in the water, I was taught side to side, and correct form. All in preparation for the indoor tri in a month.  So at least I have that to look forward to.  Plus I just registered for Warrior Dash, super excited for that.

1 comment:

  1. I am both very proud and very jelous of you and Andi. I always have dreams of running and how easy and relaxing it is, but I never can get much running in because my knees kill me. I was running for 20 minutes and my knee started hurting really bad. It's been two weeks and they still hurt just to walk, it sucks real bad. I want to run/jog too ;0(. I hope you get well soon so you can accomplish your goals.
    - Val ;0)

    ReplyDelete