February 9, 2011

Here We Go Again.......

Well I went to the PT today.  I told him about my run on Saturday.  I haven't run since.  My calf has actually been bothering me again, without running, so I knew better than to push it.  My shin splints have also been bothering me.  When I told the doctor all of these things he had a grim look on his face.  And then he said the words I was hoping to not ever have to hear again......"you need to stop running for a while."  Um....can I just say.....it took everything I had not to start sobbing in the office.  I hate that I get so emotional over this but I just can't help it.  I did tear up and I tried to hide it so bad.  I ended up having to walk away from the conversation for a few minutes so I didn't embarass myself by flooding the office with my tears.

After I gathered myself we talked about it a little longer, and I am happy to say I kept my composure, although it was NOT easy.  He pretty much said no running for a week and then we can SLOWLY start back up.  Like 10 minute runs for a few weeks.  I am beyond frustrated at this point.  I am pissed.  I am pissed this is happening to me, I am pissed that I see other people out there running with no injuries and I am pissed that I have fallen in love with something that apparently doesn't love me back.

So unfortunately I am not going to be able to run that half at the end of March as I hoped.  There is no way I will be ready for it.  I am still doing the Indoor Tri and the Warrior Dash though.  Those don't require too much running.  I am not going to set a goal for a race just yet, running race.  I have found that I put way too much stress on myself when I feel I need to ready to run by a certain time.  I am just going to do as the PT says and hopefully one day be able to run again.

I am also doing a few extra things.  I am going to get a second opinion about my leg.  Just to make sure they don't see something the first doctor missed.  I am also going to get some Dr. Scholl's to try.  The PT thinks a lot of my issues are coming from how hard I strike the ground with my feet.  I thank my Mamaw and Mom for passing that down.  We all flap our feet when we walk and it has probably effected my run.  And as soon as I can run again I am going to get a biomechanic test done.

So at this point I am very down in the dumps and disappointed.  But I am still not giving up!  Maybe, just maybe, I will be ready to start training for the marathon in July.

Something good has happened though.  I had my first swim lesson yesterday.  And as my friend Donica said, "I didn't see the paramedics, so I assume you didn't drown."  I had no idea how I was going to do going into the lesson.  I haven't really swam in probably 20 years or so.  Man, I am old!  So I let the instructor know right off the bat, I haven't swam in a long time.  She said, "that's ok, go ahead and swim to the end of the lane, let's see what you got."  I was so nervous, would I make it to the end of the lane?  Guess what, I did!  AND...she said I had great form.  I just need to learn how to swim with my head in the water.  Well that is great news, I was super excited about that.  I guess all of those years watching my sister swim in swim team paid off.  We also did the backstroke a little, which was a nice break from trying to swim free with my head in the water.  It is not as easy as it looks.  Backstroke went well, as well.  She said I had good form, just a few things to tweak.  Overall it was a very successful lesson and I really had fun with it.  I plan to get in a few more swims before the lesson next Tuesday.

So I am going to try and focus on swimming and biking for now.  At least I can build that up.  And I am going to try my hardest to not think about running.

2 comments:

  1. Dang it Jaime... I hate that for you. But yes, you need to let it heal so you can run in the future. Yay for you on the swimming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this...bummer!! A week is not so bad though and at least he didn't say stay off it for a month or so. I know, I know you are pissed but it could be worse, plus swimming sounds fun! Because of your inspiration, I am back at the gym in my beloved pilates classes and could not be happier.

    ReplyDelete